Monday, March 14, 2011

My New Mirror

On a quick trip to Goodwill last week, I spied a large oval mirror. It was a nasty metallic gold and VERY dirty, but I thought it had some potential. With a $7.99 price tag, I brought it home.

This weekend, I decided to have the girls help me transform it into a new mirror for their bedroom in the new house. First up was a good cleaning.
Next, we headed outside to give it a good coat of spray primer.
In keeping with the funky vintage theme for their bedroom, I picked out spray paint in this fun turquoise color, Lagoon.
Several light coats went on and we gave them each time to dry.
Then, I used Ralph Lauren glaze tinted in black to glaze the frame and make the details really pop. I applied a heavy layer with a sponge brush and then wiped off the excess with an old rag.It has been propped up against the wall in the living room for a couple of days now and we're hearing lots of "Mirror, mirror on the wall..." :)

2 comments:

  1. I am fairly certain that I have that EXACT mirror! I love the color that you chose. I will let you know if I paint mine so you can see it!
    I am a new follower visiting from Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been awarded The Versatile Blogger award! http://jehanisnotsupermom.blogspot.com/2011/05/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete