Friday, October 12, 2012

Hanging Pumpkin Lantern


I submitted this entry to So You Think You're Crafty for Halloween week.  I had the idea for a hanging pumpkin lantern, but I wanted to to be something that would last.  I hate to spend a lot of time making something that can't be reused in the coming years.

I started with three artificial pumpkins from Hobby Lobby.  I tried to get a large, medium, and small size for a tiered effect.  I also picked up wooden embroidery hoops that were small enough to fit inside of each pumpkin.

I laid the embroidery hoop on top of the pumpkin and traced a smaller circle inside of it.  You want your cut circle to be significantly smaller than the hoop to create a lip so that the hoop will not slide out of the opening.

I used a serrated kitchen knife to cut the openings in my pumpkins.

Remove the inner portion of your embroidery hoop and completely unscrew the outer portion so that it is more flexible.  Carefully overlap the ends of the hoop until you can fit it inside the pumpkin opening.

Once it's inside the pumpkin, screw the opening closed again for stability.


I used the smallest black chain at Home Depot and hooked it around each embroidery hoop in three places.

Some of my pumpkins had holes in the bottom while one did not.  For the one with no opening, I used a drill to make three holes big enough to thread the chain through.  Once the chain was run up through the pumpkin, I hooked the lower pumpkin's chain onto the higher pumpkin's chain and it was all attached.

Obviously, you don't want to place real candles in these fake pumpkins.  I put a couple of the battery powered tealights in each pumpkin and it looks really cool when it starts to get dark.

You could really get creative with this lantern.  It would be fun to go ahead and carve jack o'lantern faces on the pumpkins or some fancy geometric designs.

Now, the only problem is deciding where I'll be displaying mine!  I loved it hanging on my covered front porch just as much as inside over the kitchen table.

I'm linking this project up to the following link parties:  

5 comments:

  1. What a clever idea. It looks neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!

    I'd love to have you link up at my Weekend party!

    http://westernwarmth.blogspot.com/2012/10/weekend-warmth-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute and creative!! I would love for you to come link up to my Get Social link party and show off your blog! http://alivedinhome.blogspot.com/2012/10/get-social-sunday_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Great post! I love the creative idea of the hanging pumpkin lantern. It's perfect for adding some festive charm to the season. By the way, I was wondering if anyone knows can you buy gas with walmart gift card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete