Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Garden Gate Sign Tutorial


I was going through my Pinterest boards and found this pin from quite a while ago. I really liked the quote and wanted to use it on my own sign.  I'm not sure of the original source of the quote.  Anyone happen to know?
 

 I started with seven rough wood fence pickets from Home Depot.  They were a little over $1 each.  I gave them a rough sanding and enlisted my three favorite helpers to paint.  I turned them loose with the acrylic craft paint and told them to paint each one a Spring-y color.

 

Keep in mind that these have a very rough paint job.  I left them exactly the way and four year olds and two year old did it.


Once they were dry, we gave them a coat of antique white.


Then my helpers happily distressed them with hammers and screwdrivers.  I also sanded the super rough spots and the edges at this point so that some of the color would peek through.

I didn't take a picture, but I also cut two strips of scrap wood and nailed them across the front to hold everything together.
 

I played with the quote in some different fonts and printed it out big once I found what I wanted.  I laid it all out on the table to get my spacing right.
 

I used the old fashioned carbon paper substitute of scribbling on the back of the paper with pencil and then tracing on the front with a pen.


It gave me enough of a line to get an idea of where my letters should be placed.


 I used acrylic craft paint that was very watered down and just filled in my letters.  Once it dried a bit, I went back and added some more color here and there until I liked it.  I had some trouble getting the yellow letters to show up once it was up on the mantel, so I ended up outlining the yellow letters with a yellowish orange Sharpie.  You don't really notice the outline, but it made a big difference on being able to read the words.

 

 It's now the centerpiece of my Spring mantel.  It helped to lighten up the space and I love that my girls were able to help with the project!

21 comments:

  1. I'm IN LOVE with this. So perfect. And so intimidating to me! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joni! If the girls and I can do it, so can you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! I love the colors...so bright, fresh, and Springy. You did a great job. :) Visiting From Centsational Girl's Spring Party. I hope you'll stop by my blog to see my craft too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks adorable! What a great idea (kid friendly too!) -
    Would love if you came by to link it up to my party happening now! I would love to have you!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED this yesterday, and even more today! Thanks for sharing how you made it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just gorgeous!! I think the way you did the lettering looks wonderful. Found you at Beth's. ~Kerri, A Pop of Pretty, apopofpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This is amazing! Thank you for sharing this great idea :) Stopping by from http://CrafterMeetsCraftsman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute and very special with all your cute help! Following you from Kate's party-stop on by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful! Great job girls!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is SOOOO pretty! I LOVE the fencepost and the quote - it's all just perfect! : )

    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no, may have to copy! I have a ton of picket fence outside to reuse.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I love the fonts you used--such a retro feel. Definitely pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. I just played with it in Microsoft Word until the words were big enough for me. I ended up printing one word per page and then cutting them out and laying them on the boards until I liked them.

      Delete
  14. Hi, I just discovered your blog and love it! would really like to following you. By any chance do you have a way to follow via email? I do not use google reader or blogger. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just added that feature on the sidebar! Thanks for your interest!

      Delete
  15. This is GORGEOUS!! Hope you can link this up at my turquoise lovin' party going on right now!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2012/03/its-that-time-again-time-to-share-our.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving this! Thanks for sharing!! I linked this on my blog. You can check it out here: http://itisablessedlife.blogspot.com/2012/04/spring-inspiration.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am only commenting to let you know of the remarkable experience our girl encountered reading the blog. She noticed many pieces, which included how it is like to possess an amazing giving nature to get certain people really easily learn certain multifaceted things. You undoubtedly exceeded visitors’ desires. I appreciate you for rendering the important, healthy, informative as well as easy tips about the topic to Kate. work schedule login

    ReplyDelete