Friday, March 9, 2012

Reclaimed Wood Shelves


After moving in and living with our kitchen for a few weeks, it was time to start adding on some fun stuff.  This small corner space between the fridge and the wall was looking a little bare, so we decided to add some shelving to hold our drinking glasses and cookbooks.  I should say, our most used cookbooks.  The rest are in the cabinet above the fridge.  I think they multiply at night.

This old red barn resides on my in-laws' property and it's the first thing you see when you turn on our driveway.  It serves as the landmark for helping people to find our house for the first time.

Side story:  Ryan and I both have fond memories of this barn and little pasture.  When we were kids, long before Ryan's parents owned this property, a farmer lived here and had several goats.  We each had grandparents who lived further down this road and they would bring us, our siblings, and our cousins down to visit the goats frequently.   We each have our own stories about carrying a bag full of carrots down the road to feed the goats.  Never in a million years did I imagine that I would one day be living by the goat barn.

A couple of years ago, my father in law filled in the basement of the aging barn.  They removed the old wood floor and filled it in with gravel.  Luckily, my husband and father in law saved those wonderfully worn boards which would now make perfect kitchen shelves.  :)


Here's the thick, heavy floorboard in our garage waiting to be cut. We cut the boards to length, so that they would fit fairly flush between the fridge cabinet and the wall and then cleaned the grime off.

We attached these metal shelf brackets from Anthropologie, which are unfortunately no longer available.  Thanks to a Chicago store for sending us the last of theirs!

 
 And, voila, reclaimed wood shelving!
 

It adds some functionality and much needed interest to this corner.

 

 A little rustic, a little industrial, and a big smile from me.

7 comments:

  1. I love these shelves - I have some similar ones, used as picture shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! I love the shelves! Love even more the story behind them. They're truly a part of your history! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. soooo glad you linked up to SNS so I could see this!!!! I was just telling my husband this morning that this is exactly what I want in our family room :) Pinning the great inspiration- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hiya Jamie!
    I'm over from 'tatertots & jello'- and have had a great time looking through your posts on your amazing house.
    look forward to following along & seeing more.
    cheryl xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shelves look perfect in this spot and I love that you were able to use old wood instead of new.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so love this, a project involving little to no cost always has a great impact. They look great in your kitchen! Would you mind sharing at my cheap finds and transformations party? We'd love to party with you! Have a great week, I'm off to check out more of your blog:) http://www.thescottscrib.com/2012/03/lathriftas-cheap-finds-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. These shelves are yummy! I love the fact that they are part of your history. The reclaimed wood is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete